It was a dark and stormy night…
Ok, it wasn’t stormy, but it was a late last Friday night, scrolling through social media.
I love organization and had been watching Mari Kondo work her magic.
And I started tidying up my Instagram account, brainstorming how I would make my feed look beautiful.
We will be heading south from Washington and I could curate a new batch of beautiful photos from our travels.
I wanted to tidy up my Instagram account and delete an old account that wasn’t being used, just cluttering things up.
I accidentally DELETED my main, 8-year-old Instagram account!!!!!
I panicked and cried, how could this happen? It didn’t give me a choice of which of the two to delete!
The help section on Insta was no help, saying that deleted accounts could not be recovered!
I turned to uncle Google of course, seeking answers of how to get my account back, see if the help section really told the WHOLE story. I was able to find some help!
The steps following I went through several times, selecting different options on the form.
We’re going to pretend that your account was hacked, that will give us access to recover your account.
Make sure your account has been deleted/ deactivated for long enough. It takes time for their system to do its thing, so this won’t work immediately. Learn from my mistake, I did this several times immediately after my mistake and it only added to my anxiety when it didn’t work! I waited until the next morning then it worked!
I hope that this will help you if you happen to delete your Instagram account by accident too.
First, log out of all accounts.
- On the login screen, tap Get help signing in below Log In.
- Enter your username, email, or phone number, then tap Next. Learn more about what you can do if you don’t know your username.
- Tap Need more help? then follow the on-screen instructions.
- Be sure to enter a secure email address that only you can access. Once you’ve submitted your request, be on the lookout for an email from Instagram with next steps.
On iPhone (iOS):
- On the login screen, tap Forgot password?
- Then tap Need more help? below Send Login Link, then follow the on-screen instructions
- Fill in the form with your info
- Pick if your account is personal or business
Verify your identity
Once you submit your request, you should receive an auto-response email from the Security Team at Instagram asking you to help us verify your identity. You’ll be asked for one or both of the following:
- A photo of yourself holding a paper with a handwritten code we’ve provided you.
- The email address or phone number you signed up with and the type of device you used at the time of sign up (example: iPhone, Android, iPad, other).
Once you provide information to help us verify your identity, we’ll send you specific instructions to recover your account at the secure email address you provided.